Never Throw Rocks or Debris Over the Side of the Trail:
- Many trails have switchbacks, and other hikers might be on the trail below you.
Things To Carry With You:
- Map and Compass or GPS Device and Know How to Use Them.
- Most trails in Upstate South Carolina are well marked, but occasions might arise when a topographical map and compass will be helpful.
- Be prepared to make small fires only when necessary and never leave them unattended.
- For emergency use only. A whistle can be heard much farther than the human voice.
- First Aid Kit and Know How to Use It.
- Cell Phone Fully Charged.
- Pocketknife or Multitool.
- Flashlight and Batteries or Head Lamp.
What To Do If You Get Lost:
- Follow the STOP Rule—Stop, Think, Observe, Plan.
- Stay calm. Don’t panic.
- Stay where you are. If a search party is looking for you, let them come to you.
Use Your Whistle:
- One blast signals others in your hiking group to stop.
- Two blasts signals for others to come to you.
- Three blasts (emergency) signals for others (hiking group or search party) to come to you quickly.